What is a Director Identification Number?
During 2021, the government initiated a new system that attaches a unique identifying number to an individual who is a company director. A director has one number permanently attached to them, and this is used for identification purposes for any or all companies they are a director of.
From 5 April 2022, director ID numbers are mandatory for all new company directors.
The new Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) administers the director ID register. The ABRS will gradually integrate all government business registers into one easily accessible register with greater security.
The director ID numbers promote integrity and better transparency of appointed directors. The system is designed to flush out fake director identities used in illegal activities, which results in increased privacy protections for legitimate directors.
What do You Need to do?
- Existing directors have until November 2022 to register for a director ID number. But there’s no reason to delay – apply as soon as possible.
- New directors appointed between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022 must apply within 28 days of being appointed as a director.
- New directors appointed from 5 April 2022 must obtain a director ID number before accepting a director appointment.
- Prospective directors can apply for a director ID up to 12 months ahead of the appointment.
- Complete the application process yourself as you must verify your identity as part of the application – nobody else can apply on your behalf.
The easiest and fastest way to apply is online via ABRS.
- You’ll need a myGovID account to apply for your director ID number online. This creates an authenticated digital identity you can use when accessing government services online.
- Apply through ABRS Director identification number. You’ll need proof of identity documents such as tax file number, ATO notice of assessment, or bank details.
- You’ll then need to complete the application process from the ABRS webpage, which will link your myGovID account to the application. If the application is verified successfully, you’ll receive your director ID straight away.
- You can also apply via paper form or telephone; however, this is a slower process.
Set up your myGovID if you haven’t already. Get your identification documents together and apply by your due date. This is also a great time to update your ABN details and ASIC details. Talk to us if you’d like to know more about director ID numbers and company director obligations.